About Your RatesGlades Estate-Byford

Question about your rates? Check out frequently asked questions about rates.

Why we pay rates?

We consider your wants and needs through regular consultation, and then each year Council adopts a budget that reflects them. The rates you pay are your share of the amount of money we need to fund the budget, after taking into account all other forms of revenue (e.g. Federal and State funding and various fees and charges).

Download the 2019/2020 Budget Guide

How are my rates calculated?

Our community contains a diverse range of property types, and to ensure the amount each ratepayer pays is equitable, Council has adopted five rate categories (differential rates). We explain each category in detail in the ‘What do the rate categories mean?’ section.

Your rates contribution is calculated by multiplying the rate in the dollar for your rate category, by your valuation. Service charges like the Emergency Services Levy and the Waste Service Charge are then added resulting in your total contribution.

Calculating your rates

What are differential rates?

Differential rating is imposing a different rate in the dollar based on any, or a combination, of the following characteristics:

  • the purpose for which the land is zoned, whether or not under local planning scheme in force under the Planning and Development Act 2005
  • a purpose for which the land is held or used as determined by the local government
  • whether or not the land is vacant or not
  • or any characteristic or combination of characteristics prescribed

Differential rates for 2019/2020

Rate categoryRate in the dollar (shown as cents in the dollar)Minimum payment
GRV Improved 9.1307 $1,276
GRV Commercial/Industrial 10.4674 $1,434
GRV Vacant 18.0787 $972
UV Rural 0.4034 $1,383
UV Intensive Farmland 0.7799 $1,383

The complete Objectives and Reasons Statement for the year ending 30 June 2020 is available below.

Objectives and Reasons Statement - Year ending 30 June 2020 (560 KB, PDF )

What is Gross Rental Value (GRV)?

The GRV is the Gross Annual Rental potential of your property. It is supplied by the Valuer General’s Office, and shows what your property could earn in a year if it was being rented. The potential rental value for houses or other GRV properties is influenced by factors such as age, construction, size, car shelters, pools and location.

Your current GRV’s date of valuation is 1 July 2017. The GRV is assessed every three years. Despite possible changes to the rental market, the GRV remains fixed until the next valuation, unless you make changes to your property.

What is Unimproved Value (UV)?

The UV is the Unimproved Value of your property. Like the GRV, it is supplied by the Valuer General’s Office, and shows the value of your property in its original natural state.

Unlike the GRV, the Valuer General determines unimproved values annually. This year’s rates are calculated with revaluations effective from 1 July 2019. 

GRV generally applies for urban areas and UV for rural land.

You can visit the Valuer General’s website for more information on valuations used for rating and taxing.

Valuation of Land Rating Review - FAQs


What do the rate categories mean?

GRV Improved

The valuation used in this category is GRV (Gross Rental Value), and the category covers improved non-rural properties used for residential purpose.

The GRV Improved rate is the base rate, and all other GRV rated properties are assessed against it.

GRV Vacant

The valuation used in this category is GRV, and the category covers all non-rural vacant properties.

This category has a higher rate in the dollar than GRV Improved. This is to encourage landowners to develop vacant land to its full potential.

GRV Commercial/Industrial

The valuation used in this category is GRV, and the category covers improved non-rural properties that are not vacant and are used for a purpose other than residential.

This rate is set higher than all other GRV categories to reflect the significant impact of these properties on local infrastructure.

Generally, rates paid by commercial and industrial property owners are tax-deductible.

UV Rural

The valuation used in this category is UV (Unimproved Value), and the category covers properties with a land use or rural, conservation and farmland. 

The UV Rural rate is the base rate, and all other UV rated properties are assessed against it.

Concessions are available to eligible farmland and conservation properties within the previous UV General category.

Rates,Concessions and Rebates

UV Intensive Farmland

The valuation used in this category is UV, and the category covers properties with a land use of intensive farming.

The rate is set higher than all other UV categories to reflect the impact intensive farming has on local road construction, maintenance and refurbishment.

Generally, rates paid by intensive farmland property owners are tax-deductible.

How is the overdue interest calculated?

The overdue interest is worked out at 11% per annum calculated on a daily basis. This is only on the rates and ESL components, not on the services.

For example:

Total Bill $685.00
Rubbish $175.00
Emergency Services Levy $30.00
Rates $480.00
Rates + Emergency Services Levy = $510.00 x 11% = $56.10÷365 = $0.15
Interest payable will be $0.15 per day

What is a minimum rates payment

A minimum rate is set for each category. When the valuation is multiplied by the rate in the dollar is less than this minimum rate you'll pay the minimum rate. 

This is to make sure rating is equitable across all rating categories.

What if I am selling my property

At settlement, you will pay the amount of outstanding rates owing up to that date. The new owners will be responsible for paying rates after that date. Your settlement agent will proportion your rates for you.

What is the Emergency Services Levy?

The Emergency Services Levy (ESL) is a State Government charge that everyone in WA pays. We collect this fee on behalf of Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES). This provides funding for fire and emergency service response teams, including local Volunteer Bush Fire Brigades and State-operated services like State Emergency Services.

For more information please refer to the ESL section of the DFES website dfes.wa.gov.au or enquire on free call 1300 136 099.

Swimming Pool Inspection Fees

Swimming pools are inspected once every four years. The swimming pool inspection fee is $220. This is charged at $55 per year over the four years.

Please let us know in writing if you no longer have a swimming pool. This way, we know that you no longer require inspections