Trading in public places

To trade on public land within the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale, you must obtain a licence. This is to ensure the Shire can manage the sale of a variety of activities in public places such as food vendors, flower stalls, ice-cream traders.

Assessment of an application considers the proposed location and impact the activity may have on public safety, public access, other traders, traffic flow, and established businesses close by, in accordance with the Shire’s Local Law – Public Places and Local Government Property Local Law 2019 and Council Policy 4.4.2 Mobile Food Vendors. Note that trading in the same place for more than 48 hours requires additional planning approval from the Shire.

How to apply

To apply for a licence, complete our Trading in Public Places licence application form and return to the Shire.

Applications must be submitted at least 14 days in advance of the proposed date/s and include the following information in their application;

  • The proposed trading activity type
  • The proposed location/locations you wish to trade
  • The proposed days and times you wish to trade, and
  • Details of the proposed stall/vehicle.

A copy of your public liability insurance must also be attached to the application.


  • Licences are valid until the end of the financial year. After this your licence will expire and should you wish to renew the licence, please ensure you submit a new application at least 14 days before the end of the licence period.
  • Compliance with the provisions of Council’s Local Laws relating to Public Places and Local Government Property and Parking and Parking Facilities;
  • Activities to comply with the Food Act 2008, Food Standards Code at all times;
  • Food business to be registered with a Local Government at all times. Changes in activities or variation in the approval, the applicant must notify Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale Health Officers;
  • Vehicle(s) to be kept fully self-contained and mobile at all times;
  • All stock to be kept within the confines of the vehicle
  • Erection of structures or umbrellas not permitted;
  • No signs allowed on road reserves except on vehicle;
  • Maximum stopping time in any one location – two hours if trading, 30 minutes if not;

Annual Fees

Trading in Public Places businesses are charged an annual assessment fee. The assessment fee is based per annum and invoices are issued at the end of each financial year. Fees may be charged pro-rata if you apply for your licence after the commencement of the new financial year.

For further information, please contact Health Services on 9526 1111 or by email