A deck is a flat surface capable of supporting weight, similar to a floor but typically constructed outdoors. Decks can be built on the ground, or they can be elevated. A deck may or may not be, connected to a building.

The safety of elevated timber balconies and decks should be a primary concern for any building owner.

“Encroachments” under the Building Code of Australia (BCA) are considered to be any construction between the external wall of a building and the allotment boundary other than a boundary adjoining a road or other public space, or the external walls of two buildings on the same allotment. A deck is not considered an unroofed terrace and is therefore not permitted as an allowable encroachment, whether combustible or not. Under the BCA, all decking must be a minimum of 900mm off an allotment boundary and at least 1.8m off of a building on the same allotment.

What is required?

All decking that proposes structural footings, stumps, bearers and floor joists require a building permit.

What information do I need for my Building Application?

  • Completed application form with all owners noted and the builder’s and applicant’s sections completed and signed
  • Applicable fees (please see fee schedule)
  • Certificate of design compliance (only if submitting a BA1 – Certified Building Application)
  • Site plan at a minimum scale of 1:200 showing:
    • Setbacks from the lot boundaries and all other buildings on the property.
    • Dimensions of the proposed structure
  • Elevations at a minimum scale of 1:100 showing:
    • Heights
  • Engineering details signed by a structural engineer showing:
    • Footing details
    • Construction details
    • Specifications
  • Types and sizes of all materials to be used

Will any other approvals be required?

In some cases, a Development Approval will be required prior to the approval of the Building Permit.

Please note that further information may be requested before a building permit is issued.

For further information, please contact Building Services on 9526 1111