Sea Containers

Sea containers can be used for a multitude of purposes. Some uses can be for temporary storage of furniturewhen moving home, storage of building materials during construction or as prefabricated buildings. There are some legislative requirements that do apply to the use of sea containers, and in some instances, building approval is required.

Exemptions from requiring a building permit

Sea containers that are used for the following uses are exempt from requiring building permits:

  • If they are to be located on site (within lot boundaries) for no longer than one month, or
  • They are in connection with the construction, operation or maintenance of mining operations, or
  • They are in connection with exploration and exploitation of petroleum resources, or
  • They are in connection with an industrial processing plant, or
  • They are temporary offices or shed associated with approved building work

Building Permits and other approvals?

Building permits will be required for all other uses not cited in the above list. Sea containers proposed to be located on land outside of lot boundaries will require approval from the local government. In some instances, planning approval may also be required.

What documents do I need for my class 10a (shed) Building Permit Application?

  • Completed application form with all owners noted and builders section completed and signed
  • Applicable fees (please see fee schedule)
  • Certificate of design compliance (only if submitting a BA1 – Certified Building Application)
  • Site plan at a minimum scale of 1:200 showing:
    • Setbacks from the lot boundaries and all other buildings on the property.
    • Proposed levels.
  • Elevations at a minimum scale of 1:100 showing:
    • Heights of retaining wall.
  • Engineering details signed by a structural engineer showing:
    • Footing and slab details
    • how the container is to be anchored down

Sea containers used for commercial or habitable buildings will require other details.

Will any other approvals be required?

In some cases, a Development Approval will be required prior to the approval of the Building Permit.

Temporary Sea containers on Council Verge

The Shire may consider the placement of a sea container on a council verge for short periods. An application for placing a sea container on the verge must include the following details:

  • Hoarding licence application form completed and fees and bond paid (see schedule of fees)
  • Site plan showing the proposed location of the sea container – consideration should be given to not blocking footpaths or vehicle sight lines
  • The dimensions of the sea container

Please note that this list is not exhaustive and further information may be requested.

For further information, please contact Building Services on 9526 1111.