Abernethy Road, Byford
The Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale is the fastest growing locality in Western Australia and with the growth in population brings an increase in road traffic.
The local area of Byford fronting Abernethy Road is fast growing and with that, the traffic conveyance capacity of Abernethy Road is rapidly approaching the limit for safe operation and will exceed that in the very near future.
Some members of our community have expressed concern with the current capacity and traffic safety of Abernethy Road and expressed a desire for it to be upgraded.
Anticipated Future Traffic Volumes
By 2030: 10,800 to 16,800 vehicles per day will use Abernethy Road (in 2012 it was just under 2849).
The Current Road Won't Cope
- There is enough room in the current roadway (generally 28 metres wide) to fit 4 lanes (2 in each direction) plus turning lanes and a central median as well as footpath either side and street trees from around the secondary school extending toward to east.
- Widening will be needed.
Benefits the Upgrade Can Bring
- Reduce congestion
- Safer opportunities for turning (both at roundabouts and into/out of your driveways)
- Safer opportunities for cycling and walking with shared footpaths and street lighting
- Minimise accidents: Reported crash data shows there has been 69 crashes on Abernethy Rd between Kardan Boulevard and the South Western Highway (Jan 2012 – Dec 2016).
- The majority were vehicles entering / leaving driveways or turning right at an intersection
- The second higher were vehicles from 'one direction' e.g. rear end/side swipe type crashes
- 82% property damages only
- 12% required medical attention, and
- 6% resulted in people being hospitalised, 0 fatalities
State Government Expectations for Abernethy Road
Set out in Perth and Peel @ 3.5 million strategic documents transitioning from being just a local road to what is known as a Regional Road.
Projects Current Status
- Final detailed design is completed and construction contract has been awarded with the expectation to commence civil works early July 2017.
- Currently undertaking community engagement with affected landowners along Abernethy Road to gain access to private land to construct the works and to inform the community of potential impact on traffic.
- Site setup and clearing of vegetation
- Undergrounding of electrical line and from Kardan Blvd to the South Western Highway
- Construction of underground drainage works from Kardan Boulevard to Soldiers Rd
Civil construction of the Abernethy Road upgrade works (road duplication and path construction) from Kardan Boulevard to Soldiers Road.
- Civil construction of Abernethy Road upgrade works (road duplication and path construction) from Soldiers Road to the South Western Highway, excluding the works with the rail reserve
- Underground drainage works from Soldiers Road to South Western Highway
- Upgrade of Beenyup Brook culvert crossing
Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale Engineering Services on 9526 1111.
Construction plans are available for the public to view at the Administration Office, 6 Paterson St, Mundijong and at the Mundijong Public Library.