Rates Concessions and Rebates
Information on when you may be eligible for a rates concession or rebate.
Pensioner and Seniors Rebate
Ratepayers who are eligible pensioners or persons who hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests and a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card can apply for a rating concession of up to 50% off current rates and ESL capped to a maximum amount. In certain cases, a deferment of current rates may be approved depending on individual circumstances. Persons who hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interest only can apply for a rating concession of up to 25% to a maximum limit.
Rebates apply to current Rates and ESL only, and not to rubbish collection and other charges, which must be paid in full by the due date shown on this notice.
To be eligible for concessions under the Rates and Charges (Rebates and Deferments) Act 1992, an applicant must:
- Be the owner and reside in the property on July 1 and
- If a pensioner, either be in receipt of a pension and hold a pensioner concession card or State concession card; or hold both a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests and a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
- If a senior, hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests;
- Register your entitlement with Council (concessions only apply once your application is received and registered)
If you are not registered with Council as an eligible pensioner, and feel that you may be eligible, please contact our Rates team.
How do I apply for a rates concession?
Council offer different rate categories for properties who qualify under the farmland or conservation criteria. The rate in the dollar is reduced from the rural rate category, with eligble properties rates in the dollar being reduced by 31% for farmland and 50% for conservation. If you wish to see whether your property qualifies please contact the Council for further information
All applications recieved will not be effective until 1 July 2018. The next review of the farmland concession is due to occur during the 2018/2019 financial year. For more information on your rates, please see the back of your rates notice.
For more information on the concessions please read the below information.
- Council Policy SEG01 - Farmland Concession (58 KB, pdf )
- Information Note on Conservation Zones (298 KB, pdf )