About Your Rates

It is anticipated that rates will be issued in July of every financial year.

Library Rates 640x280

What is GRV?

Gross rental value. The primary definition of GRV under the Valuation of Land Act 1978 is as follows:

  • GRV means the gross annual rental that the land might reasonably be expected to realise if let on a tenancy from year to year upon condition that the landlord were liable for all rates, taxes and other charges thereon and the insurance and other outgoings necessary to maintain the value of the land. A GRV is determined on the basis that the rental includes outgoings such as rates and other property expenses.
  • Residential land for which no rental value can be determined is valued on the basis of 3% of its total capital value from 1 July 2011. Assessed value for land designated for other uses is assessed on the basis of 5% of its total capital value.

What is UV?

Unimproved Value:  The UV of land outside a townsite is valued as if it had no improvements. In this case the land is valued as though it remains in its original, natural state, although any land degradation is taken into account.
For more information on GRV & UV check the Landgate website.

How are the rates worked out?

Rates are worked out by multiplying the Valuation supplied by the VG, (either GRV or UV) for each property, by the rate-in-the-dollar. The rate-in-the-dollar is set annually by Council at budget time.

What are the rates collected used for?

Rates are used to build & maintain the Shire's roads, parks, gardens and sporting facilities. They are also used to help fund the library, tourism, youth services, volunteer SES, fire brigade and other community projects.

  • Rates Video - FY16-17

How is the overdue interest calculated?

The overdue interest is worked out at 11% per annum calculated on a daily basis. This is only on the rates and ESL components, not on the services.

For example:

Total Bill




Emergency Services Levy




Rates + Emergency Services Levy = $510.00 x 11% = $56.10 / 365 = $0.15

Interest payable will be $0.15 per day



What rebate can I receive if I am a pensioner or a senior card holder?

If you are a pension card holder and reside at the property from 1 July of that financial year you are then entitled to a 50% rebate for the Rates & ESL portion of your account capped to a maximum amount currently set at $750.00. For Seniors Card holders you are entitled to a 25% rebate but this amount is capped to a maximum amount (this is determined by the Office of State Revenue).

I am about to sell my property and there are still rates to be paid – how is this worked out?

This is done by your settlement agent at settlement, who will apportion the rates accordingly between the buyer and seller.

When does the rate year run?

The rate year is 1 July to 30 June the same as the financial year.

How do I make alternative payment arrangements?

Any ratepayer that encounters difficulty with the instalment options offered by Council can apply to Council's Rates department for consideration of an alternative rates payment plan.

How do I claim a rates concession?

Ratepayers who are eligible pensioners or persons who hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests and a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card can apply for a rating concession of up to 50% off current rates and ESL capped to a maximum amount. In certain cases, a deferment of current rates may be approved depending on individual circumstances. Persons who hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interest only can apply for a rating concession of up to 25% to a maximum limit.

Who is eligible for a rates concession?

To be eligible for concessions under the Rates and Charges (Rebates and Deferments) Act 1992, an applicant must:

  • be the owner and reside in the property on 1 July and
  • if a Pensioner, either be in receipt of a pension and hold a pensioner concession card or State concession card; or hold both a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests and a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
  • if a Senior, hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests;
  • register your entitlement with Council (concessions only apply once your application is received and registered).

If you are not registered with Council as an eligible pensioner, and feel that you may be eligible, please contact the Shire's Rates department immediately upon receipt of your rates notice. Rebates apply to current Rates and ESL only, and not to rubbish collection and other charges, which must be paid in full by the due date shown on this notice.

What is the Emergency Services Levy?

The ESL is a State Government charge that the Shire collects on behalf of the Department of Fire and Emergency Services. All property owners must pay the ESL to help fund the fire and emergency services in Western Australia. Local Government is required to collect the ESL on behalf of the Department of Fire and Emergency Services by including it on all Local Government rates notices. Local Government sends all money collected directly to the Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

Find out more below.