Keeping SJ Beautiful
Litter is unsightly and can also injure people and our wildlife.
The build-up of litter reduces the beauty of our environment and can encourage further littering.
Examples of littering acts include but are not limited to:
- Litter thrown from a vehicle ($200 fine) - in these cases, the person responsible for the vehicle will be deemed to have committed the offence where neither the litterer nor the driver of the vehicle can be identified
- Littering in a public place ($200 fine)
- Dumping rubbish in reserves or vacant land ($200 fine)
- Depositing domestic or commercial waste in a public bin ($200 fine)
- Items escaping from an unsecured load ($200 fine)
- Posting publicity material in a public place or on a vehicle without the permission of the owner ($200 fine)
- Careless cigarette butt disposal ($200 fine)
A maximum penalty of $5,000 (for individuals) and $10,000 (for corporations) may be imposed for littering offences.